A) Two contrasting movements from one of following Concertos of Classical period (piano reduction):
- Karl Ditters von Dittersdorf
Concerto for Double Bass and Orchestra No. 2 in E Major
G. Henle Verlag Urtext Edition HN 759 or String Virtuoso Edition
- Franz Anton Hoffmeister
Concerto for Double Bass and Orchestra No. 1 in D Major
G. Henle Verlag Urtext Edition HN 721
- Johann Baptist Vanhal
Concerto for Double Bass and Orchestra in D Major
G. Henle Verlag Urtext Edition HN 979
B) A single-movement Romantic virtuoso piece of choice
Only original works for double bass and piano permitted.
Note: If the Tarantella by Reinhold Glière is chosen, the Glière 4 Pieces cannot be chosen for Round 3/C
A) Johannes Sperger
two contrasting movements from one of following Sonatas for Double Bass and Viola (or Piano)
- Sonata for Double Bass and Viola in D Major (Meier CI/6)
Friedrich Hofmeister Music Publishers Urtext Edition FH 2791
- Sonata for Double Bass and Viola in D Major (Meier CI/7)
Friedrich Hofmeister Music Publishers Urtext Edition FH 3195
Note: Candidates can perform with a viola répétiteur provided by the Competition or bring their own viola player. Alternatively, the sonata may be performed with piano. Both accompanying parts are included in the Urtext editions.
B) First movement of one of following Concertos (piano reduction):
- Giovanni Bottesini Double Bass Concerto No. 1 in F sharp Minor
- Giovanni Bottesini Double Bass Concerto No. 2 in B Minor
- Jean Françaix Concerto for Double Bass and Orchestra
- Serge Koussevitzky Concerto for Double Bass and Orchestra, op. 3
- Nino Rota Divertimento Concertante for Double Bass and Orchestra
- Eduard Tubin Concerto for Double Bass and Orchestra
C) one of following pieces for solo double bass:
- Elliot Carter Figment III für Solo Kontrabass
- Jean Françaix Thème varié pour contrebasse solo (theme and three variations)
- Teppo Hauta-aho Kadenza
- Hans Werner Henze Serenade (arr. for double bass)
- Heinz Holliger Preludio e Fuga
- Giselher Klebe Sechs Stücke für Kontrabass Solo op. 68 (four movements)
- Stefano Scondanibbio Sei Studi (three movements)
- Pēteris Vasks Bass Trip
- Julien-François Zbinden Hommage à J.S.Bach, op. 44
- Candidate´s own composition for solo double bass (Sheet music to be handed in at start of competition)
A) Toshio Hosokawa commissioned work for solo double bass
The piece will be made available to candidates 6 weeks before the start of the competition.
B) Johann Sebastian Bach
from Suite Nr. 3 for Violoncello Solo, BWV 1009 (transcription)
second movement: Allemande. Allegro
third movement: Courante. Allegro
C) One of following works:
- Reinhold Glière Four Pieces for Double Bass and Piano, Op. 32 and Op. 9
- Paul Hindemith Sonata for Double Bass and Piano
- František Hertl Sonata for Double Bass and Piano
- Tetsuo Kawakami Sonata for Double Bass and Piano
- Adolf Mišek Double Bass Sonata No.2 in E Minor, op.6 (Friedrich Hofmeister Music Publishers)
- Frank Proto Sonata 1963 for Double Bass and Piano
- Franz Schubert Sonata for Arpeggione and piano in A Minor, D 821 (transcription)
Johannes (Matthias) Sperger Concerto for Double Bass and Orchestra
- Concerto No. 2 in D Major, paladino editions PM0085
- Concerto No. 17 in A-Major, Edition Walhall EW1144
Both solo tuning and Viennese tuning are allowed.
The final round must be performed by memory.
In the case of doubt, the facsimile is valid.
Original sheet music must be used – no photocopies are permitted.
No posterior changes to the selected repertoire will be allowed.
„Internationale J.M. Sperger Society e. V.“
Statement Description: Donation + Name + Address
Bank Institute: Kreissparkasse Stade